Sunday, October 17, 2010

You Stay Classy Yankee Fans!


I wish I could say I was surprised that the Yankee fans known as the "Bleacher Creatures" were shouting homophobic slurs, but I'm not a naive seven year old that still believes in Santa Claus.  I can't be too upset though because they've agreed to stop.  Throwing around slurs whether homophobic, ethnic, or racial is never good.  It's completely inappropriate.  That said, what bothers me most about the situation wasn't that they were shouting homophobic slurs, but that their slurs lacked any shred of originality.  When the song "YMCA" was played in between innings, the Bleacher Creatures sang (and this is the really clever part), "Why are you gay?" instead of singing "YMCA".  I guess I shouldn't be surprised though.  This is a fan base that's primarily made up from people who choose to reside within the state of New Jersey...

2 comments:

  1. This from a guy who is the fan of the team that sells shirts that say Jeter has Aids and Gay-Rod. Boston fans are just as obnoxious as Yankee fans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey. Don't hate the player, hate the game. I'm not condoning Red Sox fans. In fact, I'd be just about as "shocked" if a group of Red Sox fans had been slammed for doing this.

    ReplyDelete