Sunday, October 17, 2010

It Must be Nice to Be Able toTurn Down Jobs in this Economy...


I am Jack's total lack of surprise.  It looks like Bobby Valentine will be back with ESPN next season.  Valentine has been rumored to be the front runner for nearly every managerial opening since he was fired by the Mets, and went for Japan to manage the Chiba Lotte Marines.  During a recent interview with Chris Russo on Sirius XM's Mad Dog Radio, Valentine said:
“If it was just a job, I think I could already have it, and probably have it a few places, and I really am flattered by the people who have had me in and have talked to me and even offered me a chance,” Valentine said Friday. “But I’m looking for that perfect situation, and it hasn’t presented itself yet.”
Well, Mr. Valentine, at 60 years old, you're not getting any younger.  I understand that you may want the perfect situation, but how often do those perfect jobs ever have openings?  For all you know, you may've already turned down that perfect situation (hello, the Baltimore Orioles anyone?).  At some point teams are going to get sick of calling, only to get strung along and eventually turned down.  He's playing a game of musical chairs, and eventually teams are going to start pulling chairs out from under him.

No comments:

Post a Comment