- Co-Link of the Week: Rob Neyer's writes his first article for SB Nation, and it's amazing. I know...shocking. He's officially become a member of "us," not "them."
- Co-Link of the Week: Rob's was going to be number one, and then Mark from IIATMS had to go and create this hysterical video about a conversation between Brian Cashman and Hank Steinbrenner.
- Big week for Fire Brand as it celebrates it's seven year anniversary. Seven years in the blog world is like 30 years in everything else, so major props to Evan and the boys for keeping it going for so long. The article that really caught my eye was by Charlie Saponara: Is the lineup to lefty heavy?
- Baseball nerd alert. If you don't like charts, graphs, and heat maps in your baseball articles, you probably won't like Vince Caramela of the Hardball Times article on the odd man out in the Reds rotation. If you do, click away!
- Baseball Analysts gets a double dip this week. Patrick Sullivan wonders if the Phillies rotation is a luxury or a necessity. Dave Allen put together a fascinating article showing the shift in birthplaces by US born baseball players over time.
- Over the Monster wonders which Boston pitcher has the best stuff. I don't want to spoil the ending, so I'll give you a little hint. It's a lefty.
- This week's article by the Platoon Advantage comes from Bill. Was Andy Pettitte better than his raw numbers would lead you believe? My thoughts are probably not, but either was Tom Glavine--his closest comp.
- The great Larry Granillo of Wezen-Ball has been picked up by Baseball Prospectus! Congrats Larry. You definitely deserve it. It may be time for me to finally break down, and subscribe to BP.
- Jonah Keri is down right cruel. The Yankees trading for Barry Zito? Doesn't he know you're supposed to wait before the body (in this case Pettitte) is cold before cracking a joke? Only thing is that he isn't joking...and he may not be crazy for suggesting such a thing.
- Dave Cameron creates an all minor league contract team, and finds that they're not as bad as one might think. They're still awful, don't get me wrong. But they wouldn't be the worst team ever either.
- Could the Phillies be sellers at the deadline? Probably not, but Bill Baer of Crashburn Alley takes a look at who could be moved and why.
- Craig Calcaterra...wow...mustache shirts? Really? Yes, it's true.
- Fungoes wonders allowed if A-Rod's contract is really a good comparable for Pujols?
- Nick Nelson over at Nick's Twin Blog questions whether Joe Nathan can make it to the Hall of Fame. He's a great closer, but I don't think he's a Hall of Famer. Then again, I think there are very few closers belong to get in, so I'm not the most biased person. Still, it's a good read.
Sunday, February 6, 2011
Weekend Round-Up - 2/6/2011
This week's links are brought to you by the Pittsburgh Steelers and Green Bay Packers. As a result, it's unlikely I'll be posting a lot today. Still, enjoy the links. I'll write if I have time.