Monday, November 1, 2010

Encouraging Words from Lloyd Christmas


In Dumb and Dumber, Lloyd Christmas and his crush, Mary, have this exchange:

Lloyd: I want to ask you a question... straight out, flat out... and I want you to give me an honest answer. What do you think the chances of a guy like you and a girl like me... ending up together?
Mary: Well Lloyd... that's difficult to say... you really don't...
Lloyd: Hit me! Just give it to me straight! I came a long way just to see you Mary. The least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?
Mary: Not good.
Lloyd: [Gulps] You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?
Mary: I'd say more like... one out of a million.
Lloyd: So you're telling me there's a chance. Yeah!
That kind of sums up the Rangers chances of coming back to win their first World Series.  As Craig Calcaterra points out, only five teams have ever come back from a 3-1 deficit:  the 1925 Pirates, 1958 Yankees, 1968 Tigers, 1979 Pirates, and 1985 Royals.  To be fair, the 1985 Royals needed the help of first base umpire Don Denkinger's unforgivable blown call in the ninth inning of Game 6 to even force a Game 7.  The blown call caused the Cardinals to unravel in the ninth, and eventually resulted in them losing the lead and the game.  The Royals came back the next day, and shut the Cardinals out 11-0 on the strength of a five hitter by Brett Saberhagen.   I suppose it could happen.  While the Rangers chance of coming back to win it all is better than one in a million, it's still pretty unlikely.

Now for your viewing pleasure, Don Denkinger's blown call in the 1985 World Series.  Cardinals fans, please avert your eyes...

Ok.  I give up.  I can't embed the video for some reason.  Click here to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment