Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A Little Perspective on Free Agent and Trade Rumors

I figured this picture was appropriate for an article on bullshit.
I'm a huge fan of Hardball Talk's Craig Calcaterra because he combines rational perspectives and abrasive, cutting sarcasm.  Earlier today, in reference to Ken Rosenthal's report of seven to eight teams expressing interest in Cliff Lee, he had this to say:
"The fact is, the “expressed interest” rumor is about as baseline as it gets during the free agency season. It’s more respectable than reports of “internal discussions” or “kicking the tires” because those things imply that the team hasn’t even made a freakin’ phone call (I’ve had internal discussions about the divorcee that moved in across the street from me last month, but sources say that’s not going to get beyond the kicking the tires stage do to roster limitations), but it’s not an offer. And really, until there are offers all of this is so much chatter."
Before Red Sox fans get all giddy about the latest trade rumors for Adrian Gonzalez, or Yankee fans start envisioning Cliff Lee, Carl Crawford, and Jayson Werth in Yankee uniforms, we need to remember that 90% of what we hear (and 100% of anything coming out of Jon Heyman's mouth) during the offseason is bullshit.  That said, I'm going to do my best to provide the most rational perspective on all of the bullshit I hear.  That's my promise to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment