Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Hey HOF it is ok to be 100% in agreement sometimes


One of the things I find most annoying in life is people who do things just to be contrary. I'm all for individuality and expressing yourself whether it is based on religion, or fashion, or what have you. It is the people who are different that often change the world for the better. I can respect that.

What I can't respect are some the brain dead idiots that cast votes for the Hall of Fame every year. (And no I'm not talking about the moron editor for ESPN who just voted for B.J. Surhoff although he also is a brain dead idiot.) Specifically I'm talking about the people who refuse to vote ANYONE in on the first ballot no matter who they are. The person with the highest percentage ever to get into the Hall of Fame was Tom Seaver with a whopping 98.84% of the vote. Check out some of the following players who were not voted in with 100% of the vote:

Babe Ruth, Ted Williams, Ty Cobb, Mickey Mantle

I think that even if you are a casual baseball fan you can agree that there is absolutely no reason that these names don't deserve 100% of the vote. Now granted there are some writers that for whatever reason don't send in their votes. I'm not sure if that affects the voting percentage or not but in either case I think that those writers should have their voting rights taken away from them. Maybe it's not as important to you guys but it is very important to die hard baseball fans and it sure as hell is important to the players vying for the Hall of Fame.

Truth be told maybe I can give a pass once in a while for guys who forget to send in their vote. After all everyone makes mistakes or gets caught up in a family emergency. However, I cannot and will not excuse those writers who continue to not vote for anyone on the first ballot. Basically they are doing it just to be contrary or prove a point, although quite honestly whatever "point" they are trying to make I can't fathom. To me actions like this lend weight to the argument that writers should not be allowed at all to vote for the Hall of Fame. Personally I think it should be exclusively players.

So congratulations Greg Maddux! In January 2014 some writers will think that your 355 wins, 3.16 ERA, 3,371 Ks, and 18 Gold Gloves just aren't quite good enough to vote you in on the first ballot.

And they'll be wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment